Sunday, August 7, 2011

Revisiting Zinfandel... Guest blogger: My mom!!

Old Moon 2010 Old Vines Zinfandel
$5.99@Trader Joe's

Brian sez: I used to drink a bunch of Zinfandel about ten or twelve years ago. I found it to be a good grape for convincing non-wine drinkers or non-red wine drinkers that they liked red wine. I got away from it before too long because a lot of the Zinfandel I was finding in grocery stores were uninteresting to say the least and serious wine shops didn't stock much of it.

Fast forward a decade or so and there I am in Trader Joe's picking up a bottle of Old Moon Zinfandel. Fast forward a couple more nights and I'm grilling some skirt steak, corn, potatoes and squash-- the Zinfandel seemed like a logical choice.

It's nice and wide open with plenty of spice and dark fruit but not a lot of complexity. It fades out quickly but cleanly. This is a fine crowd-pleaser Zin that reminds me of why I loved this grape back in the day.

Julia sez: Pairs well with grilled food.

My mom sez: It was light and smooth. Subtle.

Binary rating: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment